#CIJSummer Investigative Journalism Conference 2019
Designed for journalists. Open to all.
Thu 4 – Sat 6 July 2019
Professor Stuart Hall Building
Goldsmiths, University of London
The CIJ Summer Conference is UK’s only journalism training event with an emphasis on teaching investigative skills. We offer a mixture of talks, demos and hands-on classes which are designed to equip journalists and anyone interested in investigations with the up-to-date investigative methods and tools.
Are you a journalist, activist, student, academic or simply unsure? Here is why you should attend #CIJSummer.
– NEW! Interviewing techniques
– NEW! Cross-border investigations and collaborative journalism
– NEW! Open-source investigations
– NEW! Forensic journalism
– Data journalism: Excel, R, Graph Databases, Python and more
– Financial journalism, including offshore
– Access to information laws, including FOIA
– Covert filming
– Story-based inquiry method
Plus leading investigative journalists from all over the world!
Speakers and Trainers include:
- NEW! Robert Hunter, solicitor advocate and founder of City Disabilities.
- Barry McCaffrey – senior reporter with the Detail. One of the journalists arrested in Northern Ireland, suspected of the theft of documents from the Police Ombudsman’s Office, after the release of their documentary No Stone Unturned.
- Christo Grozev of Bellingcat
- Clare Rewcastle Brown – Editor of The Sarawak Report. Keynote speaker. Author of The Sarawak Report: The Inside Story of the 1MDB Expose.
- Henk van Ess – one of Europe’s leading specialists in open source investigations
- Brigitte Alfter – journalist and author, cross-border and collaborative journalism expert. journalismfund.eu
- Helena Bengtsson – Editor, Data journalism at SVT News and current affairs, formerly of The Guardian.
- Olivier van Beemen – journalist and author of Heineken in Africa: A Multinational Unleashed
- See all the speakers confirmed so far in the #CIJSummer 2019 Twitter Speakers List
#CIJSummer in five words: wall-to-wall brilliant. Again.
— Ben Rymer (@BenRymer) June 30, 2018
Book now for the #CIJSummer 2019
Missed it in 2018?
Previous #CIJSummer Conferences in the media: see our Media Coverage page.
“I wanted to choose a quote or caption to sum up my experience at #CIJSummer , but nothing I say will ever be able to rival the wealth of information I’ve gained, the amazing people I’ve met and the bright future that awaits the world because of them.” (2018)
“Heading home from #CIJSummer with a notebook full of advice, tips and tricks. Im buzzing with ideas…” (2018)
“Inspirational! Fantastic for overworked, underpaid journalists. ” (2017)“Unrivalled opportunity to meet and learn with new people.” (2017)
“Learnt so much in three days that I will need three months to go through the information.”“Probably the best and most valuable event of my life. Quality programme, quality people, well organised.”“The biggest disappointment was having to be in three places at once!”“Always something to learn. Great access to speakers. Enthusiastic and knowledgeable fellow delegates.”
“A truly enlightening experience! Well worth the money!”
“The programme was superb. I’ll be back!”“Loved it! I would save my place for next year now if possible. “
Below, you can find a map of the event venue.
Please contact us for any further details
A full refund minus £35 handling fee is offered on all cancellations made in writing before 4 June 2019. After that no refunds are offered. Tickets are transferable like for like or difference paid. Contact: marina [at] tcij.org in writing.