We’re hiring – Project Manager (fixed-term contract)
We’re now seeking a highly motivated Project Manager with a clear understanding of the debates and issues surrounding media and journalism, and experience of working on issues relating to the environment or climate change. This is a collaborative role in a senior position and includes budget and line management, and administration. You will work closely with several regional coordinators to organise training in investigative skills to help uncover and tell the stories relating to climate change.
This is a new post to provide international training, through a network of regional partners, for those working on investigations and research relating to greenhouse gas emissions associated with human activities.
Job title: Project Manager
Contract type: Full-time fixed-term until 31 January 2024, with the possibility of a short extension should the project require it.
Starting annual salary: £42k
Location: Remote working. Occasional international travel might be required.
Direct report: Deputy Director
Start date: As soon as possible
Description and Purpose of the post:
This is a collaborative role in a senior position and includes budget and line management, and administration. You will work closely with several regional coordinators to organise training in investigative skills to help uncover and tell the stories relating to climate change.
To support and further the aims of the Centre for Investigative Journalism through delivering:
Phase I: Scoping the project – under the supervision of the Deputy Director
Building on the knowledge within the Centre for Investigative Journalism and using existing networks and contacts, the first six months will be taken up producing a comprehensive scoping document consisting of a detailed project plan outlining the delivery of the training, budget and identifying any gaps alongside proposals as to how these can be filled. The project plan will determine the direction of work for the rest of the contract.
Through this scoping, we would expect the Project Manager to be able to:
- Identify the regions and languages for the training
- Secure collaboration with local partners
- Recruit regional coordinators
- Detail the type and level of training required and build a core curriculum around this
- Determine the level and nature of input required from other team members
- Identify any subject and region specific training
- Produce a detailed budget for each of the regions
- Produce a project plan for delivery of the training
- Identify risks associated with the project and mitigation strategies for each
- Identify any additional support that might be needed
- Determine what support materials are needed
- Propose how best to engage with audiences and ensure maximum coverage of stories
- Establish a clear process for evaluating the project
Phase II: Delivering the project – under the supervision of the Deputy Director
- Once signed-off, the scoping document will determine the role until the end of the contract as the work will be to deliver it.
- You will have the support of other team members for the process of scoping the project. You will also manage any staff that were identified as needed to deliver the project.
- The role is likely to require occasional international travel, although this should be kept to a minimum and the project should rely as much as possible on the regional networks.
- Project management experience of 5+ years
- Demonstrable experience of working on a similar project
- Knowledge of environmental/ climate issues
- Experience of working for a charity, NGO or CSO
- Happy to work on own initiative unsupervised
- Experience of managing budgets
- Experience of managing staff
- Created and developed networks
- A second language
- Assertive and comfortable with speaking in public
- Good network of international contacts
- PRINCE2 or equivalent
Please email your CV with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference OCRI-3 in your email’s subject line.
Application deadline: 16 August 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.